Saturday, April 23, 2011

Women, Plans, and Rams


Happy Easter, everyone! Here are a few updates on some different things that have been happening over here lately:


Young Women’s Bible Study

A couple months ago, my friend Elaine told me that two Cameroonian girls she was living with were very interested in being a part of a Bible study, but didn’t know where to join one. God had been lately leading me to commit to another “formal” ministry in Bamenda, and this seemed like the perfect opportunity! So about a month ago, I started leading a Bible study with Emmanuela, Dezane and a few of their friends (Sorry, I don’t have any pictures of them yet. Coming soon!)

It has been wonderful. They are really enjoying learning different ways to study the Bible, and we are learning a lot from the women of the Bible as we go. I love having the opportunity to get to know these young women better and to speak truth and love into their lives. Even with going to school full-time and caring for all the people in their household, they are committed to learning more about God and His word. It is a joy to see. Praise God for what He is doing in their lives, and pray that He continues to teach them more about Himself!

Future Plans

At this time last year, I was struggling with the decision whether to return to Cameroon or stay in California in the fall. God faithfully guided me in that decision, as He has again faithfully guided me in my decisions for this fall. When I come home in July, I will be coming home to stay. God may have future mission plans for me that I am unaware of, but at this point, I am absolutely confident that His plans for me this fall will be in California. I am currently applying for teaching jobs in southern California, and I would appreciate prayer that God opens the door to the job where he can use me to make a difference for Him, as well as where I can have a chance to transition well back into life in the US.

I am very excited to come back and get reconnected with my California communities, but I also pray that I will live these last three months in Cameroon well. Pray that God continues to give me joy and perseverance in the ministries He has given me here.

Village Visit

Last weekend, Karissa, Lum and I went up into the mountains to visit our Fulani friends. It was such a good weekend. We helped cook mushroom soup in the cookhouse, carried water on our heads from the river, and played “Mommy Wata” with the kids (their version of a sea monster game).

The most meaningful time of that weekend was when they slaughtered a ram for an Inde (their version of a baby shower). The leaders of the compound tied up the ram, held it down, and held palm leaves over the body to cover the slaughter. They said a quiet prayer, and silently made the cut. As I watched the lifeblood drain down the hill, I realized that the ram had never made a sound. It was such a powerful image of what Christ did for us. “Like a lamb to the slaughter... so he did not open his mouth” (Is. 53:7).

This Easter, may we be faithful to remember the Lamb of God, the final sacrifice and atonement for our sins.

“Worthy is the Lamb that was slain, to receive power and wealth and wisdom and strength and honor and glory and praise!” (Rev. 5:12).

No comments:

Post a Comment